Neutronics for light water reactors: phenomenology
• identify and explain all the phenomena resulting from neutron-nucleus interactions related to the nuclear reactor behaviour.
- Introduction to neutronics: energy domains, neutron current, flux and spectrum, reaction rates; neutron balance: the four factors formula, leakage...
- Diffusion equation: Fick's law, solution of the diffusion equation, one group diffusion theory, critical conditions, “geometrical buckling”.
- Neutron slowing down and thermalization: elastic and inelastic scattering, lethargy, resonance absorption.
- Reactor kinetics: reactivity, prompt and delayed neutrons precursors, Nordheim's equation.
- Temperature and poisoning effects, fuel evolution, Pu recycling.
Maximum number of trainees: 16.
This course includes lab sessions using ionizing radiations and visits of facilities with regulated zones. Please comply with the conditions stated in the terms of sale.